Monday, December 26, 2005

 

The Emperor's Old Clothes

What do you do when someone sends you a gift and you call to thank them...only to learn they sent it as a gag gift because they thought it was hideous?

Our friends T & J moved to a western state a few years ago. We still talk to them often, see them occasionally and exchange gifts at the holidays. So I wasn't surprised when UPS left a package from them a couple of days before Christmas. Inside, we found a set of champagne glasses with really long stems of different colors. The glasses all rest inside a large glass vase so that the effect is that of flowers. I thought it was pretty cool, and T knows I love glassware, especially unusual glassware.

So we talked to them yesterday and I thanked T with much sincerity for the set. His response: "You're kidding, right?" He went on to say that our real gift was a bit delayed but he thought in the meantime, we would get a good laugh out of the long-stemmed glasses that he had received from a business supplier last year and regifted to us as a joke. I told him, no, I really did like them. I think he didn't want to believe me.

At this moment, my feelings about both T and the glassware are a bit tainted.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?